TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Instructor Setup
- Setting Section Visibility in a Harmonize Discussion
- Filtering Posts by Section
Section Data Syncing in Canvas enables "Students in Same Sections" to be selected in the Visibility Settings of your Harmonize discussion and allows instructors to filter student posts based on section.
Note: Section Data syncing requires use of the Canvas API and requires an additional Developer Key to be installed with read-only permissions. See Configuring Group Data Syncing in Canvas for more information.
After the data sync key has been configured, instructors will have the ability to enable section filtering in their courses. The following steps are only necessary once per unique course.
- As an instructor, navigate to an existing discussion or create a new discussion.
- Click the Edit button located in the Instructions section of the Harmonize window.
- On the Edit Topic page, click the Authorize Canvas Extensions button.
- In the new browser tab or window that appears, click the Authorize button.
- Once authorized, all sections created in the course will sync to Harmonize. Click Save & Close.
Setting Section Visibility in a Harmonize Discussion
Once Group Data Syncing has been authorized, group filtering options will appear in both the Post Settings as well as the main Harmonize discussion view.
- Create a new Harmonize Discussion or launch a previously created Harmonize Discussion and click Edit. This will open the Edit Topic view.
- In the Edit Topic view, click the Post Settings tab.
- In the Visibility Settings section, click Students in Same Sections.
- Note: If new course sections have been added since the initial sync, click the Refresh button.
- Click Save & Close. Students will only see posts from instructors and students in their section.
Filtering Posts by Section
After setting section visibility in your Harmonize Discussion, a new section drop menu will appear on the main Harmonize discussion view. To filter student posts by section, select the appropriate section from the drop down menu.
Questions? Contact Harmonize Support!