TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Important Things to Note
- Setting Up Your Canvas Calendar Sync
- Your Canvas To Do List
- Your Canvas Calendar Events
- Frequently Asked Questions
Harmonize keeps track of all your discussion-related due dates across all of your courses using Harmonize with the To Do drawer, available in the top menu of most Harmonize pages. These events can also be synced to your student Canvas Calendar and Canvas To Do list via the Calendar Sync function. This helps by providing additional reminders of upcoming due dates such as discussion milestones due ahead of the actual assignment due date.
A FEW IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE
- Please note that this feature is entirely student-facing. To Dos and Calendar Events will not appear for instructors or admins.
- To Dos and Calendar Events are created automatically according to the Harmonize discussions created by instructors. No additional instructor action is required.
- In order to enable this feature your institution must first configure the Canvas API integration in Harmonize. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Now that the basics are covered, let's set up your student Canvas Calendar Sync!
Setting Up Your Canvas Calendar Sync
- Open any Harmonize discussion or Q&A board in any of your courses or click on the Harmonize link in the Canvas navigation menu to launch the Communication Center
- Click the calendar icon in the Harmonize navigation menu to open the To Dos drawer:
- At the top of the To Do drawer, click the link labeled Sync Items to My Canvas Calendar
- You will be taken to a Canvas authorization page, click Authorize to continue:
- To Do events will now sync to your Canvas To Do list as well as your personal and course calendars in Canvas.
Your Canvas To Do List
- Once you've completed the steps above, To Do events such as Milestone due dates and assignment due dates will appear in your Canvas To Do List.
- Click an event listed in your Canvas To Do List to open an expanded view of the event in your Canvas personal calendar or your Canvas course calendar.
- Completed To Do events will be automatically removed from your Canvas To Do list and your Canvas calendars.
Your Canvas Calendar Events
- In addition to your Canvas To Do list, you can also view your To Do events in your Canvas calendar by clicking the View Course Calendar button or clicking the Canvas Calendar icon.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Events like Milestone due dates will only appear in your Canvas student calendar while events like assignment due dates will only appear in the Canvas course calendar. Do the following to ensure a complete view of all course events:
- Enable the Canvas Student Calendar: In the Canvas Calendar List, click the checkbox to the left your name.
- Confirm that the Canvas Course Calendar is enabled. Your Canvas Course Calendar should already be enabled. If not, click the checkbox to the left of your course name in the Canvas Calendar List.
- Once both calendars are visible, click any calendar event to view the event details
- For Milestone due date events, click the provided resource link to open the corresponding Harmonize discussion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why are no events showing in my Harmonize To Do drawer?
- Events are removed from your Harmonize To Do drawer as they are completed. It is possible you have already completed all the requirements for the event in question.
- Instructors, please note that this is a student facing feature. No To Do or calendar events will show for instructors.
Q. I am not seeing any events in my Canvas calendar. Am I doing something wrong?
- If you haven't already, please visit your To Do drawer and click the "Sync Items to My Canvas Calendar" link.
- Assignment due dates appear in your Canvas Course Calendar while Milestone To Dos appear in your Canvas Student Calendar. Ensure both Canvas calendars are active to view all available To Do events.
- When your instructor creates new content, it takes a few minutes for the associated To Dos to sync to your calendar. Check your calendars again in 10 - 15 minutes.
- Events are removed from your calendar as they are completed. It is possible you have already completed all the requirements for the event in question.
- Instructors, please note that this is a student facing feature. No To Do events will show for instructors.
Q. I am an instructor. May I authorize this feature on behalf of my students?
- Not at this time. Harmonize automatically opens the To Dos drawer in order to highlight and encourage students to authorize calendar syncing, but students must individually authorize this feature.
Questions? Contact Harmonize Support!
Click here to submit a new support ticket or email firstname.lastname@example.org.